The Calcutta Tramways Company is also a pioneer in Public Bus transport which was initially started in 1920 but later discontinued in 1925. These buses were called omnibus. Bus services were again introduced in 1992 and has a strong presence at present. CTC is the primary government operator in the districts of Howrah, Hoogly, Nadia and North 24 Parganas connecting these districts between themselves and Kolkata including long distance destinations.
CTC has 385 buses operating in 41 routes which are maintained in 7 different depots located at Tollygunge, Khidirpur, Ghasbagan, Park Circus, Rajabazar, Belgachia and Barasat. There are 380 normal standard non- AC buses out of which 120 buses were inducted in 2009-10 under JnNURM scheme. In addition to that we have 5 Air-conditioned buses out of which one was specially fabricated for use by football legend Maradona during his visit to the city in 2008.